Voters unable to get to the polls on Election Day are eligible to vote by paper absentee ballot. You must meet on of the following requirements:
- Person who due to age, disability, or illness will be unable to go to the polls on election day
- Student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered
- Voter who temporarily resides outside the state but who is still eligible to vote in this state
- Person incarcerated in jail who has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime
- Person whose employment location requires him to be absent from the county all hours and all days absentee voting by machine is conducted
- Military personnel confined to a military base on election day
- Residents of KY and their dependents who are members of the Armed Forces
- KY citizens residing overseas
- Medical emergency occurring within 14 days of election of individual or spouse
You may request an application for paper ballot in person, by mail, by phone or by fax.
The application must be completed & mailed to the County Clerk prior to 7 days before the election. Once the Clerk received the application, the paper ballot will be sent to the voter. Please allow ample time for your ballot to be returned to you & to be mailed back to the clerk to be received by 6 P.M. on Election Day.
Voting by Absentee Machine
If you are going to be out of town on Election Day and you do not qualify for a paper ballot, you may vote on an absentee machine in the County Clerk’s office at least 12 days prior to the election.
Those eligible to vote by machine:
- Voter who shall be absent from county on Election Day
- Student temporarily residing outside the county
- Military, their dependents & overseas citizens
- Military confined to base within county on Election Day and learns of it within 7 days or less of the election
- Voter or spouse who has surgery scheduled that will require hospitalization on election day
- Precinct election officers & alternates; member or staff for County Board of Elections; any deputy clerk; any SBE staff
- Woman in her last trimester of pregnancy